Join the EV revolution
Electric Miles is a cleantech company developing the world’s most intelligent Internet of Energy (IoE) electric vehicle charging solution. We connect EV and home batteries with the best computer intelligence to help users save energy costs, be more efficient, and reduce overall energy.
Why join the fastest growing EV startup?
Motoring is on the verge of a massive transformation.
By 2030 it’s estimated that there will be nine million electric vehicles –EVs on the UK’s roads. Charging them will put a significant strain on the National Grid.
It’s predicted peak demand will increase by about a third. It’s critical we manage EV charging to protect the Grid from an electricity crisis. From June 2022, the UK government has mandated that every charger sold must be Smart and pre-set to not charge at peak time, Charger Manufacturers will have to comply or face hefty fines. In the midst of this change – the EV driver is left confused, inundated with apps that still don’t fundamentally solve their problem.
Electric Miles is uniquely positioned to take advantage of this revolution. Come join us to solve one of the greatest challenges of this decade. We have signed contracts for over 50,000 chargers on our platform in the next 3 years. We have a mandate for over 20 MWs with the local grids to deploy thousands of EVs to move to charge away from peak periods and avoid network outages. We have a fantastic team of 15 with vast experience and expertise in Energy, Software and Venture Building. We are a member of the government’s EV task force and we won an award for being the most innovative EV product in the UK. As a result, we are in a great place to be the leader in SMART charging and Grid flexibility Management not just in the UK but across the world.
Senior PHP Backend Engineer
We’re looking for a Senior PHP Backend Engineer, to help us work on our cloud-based platform to deliver the future of Smart, Intelligent EV charging.
You will be thinking ahead on our technical roadmap, ensuring the features we are building will enable us to scale the product to as many users and clients as possible. You’ll be thinking about how features and modules can be built in a maintainable and reusable way while finding the right balance to deliver features quickly. You’ll mentor and advise other engineers in the team, and encourage knowledge sharing and a collaborative environment to work in. You’ll be driven in developing your own skills, evaluate new technology trends, and identify how to leverage these to improve the ways we work.
These are the kinds of things you’ll be doing in your role. We’re a startup so this is not an exhaustive list. We’re keen to know how you can help us in other ways too.
- Design and implement APIs
- Develop software and automated testing for our EV Charging components
- Keep track and ensure compliance with industry specifications and standards
- Enjoy working in a cross-functional agile team
- Help us maintain our CI infrastructure and build for observability and resilience.
- We’re relied upon to drive critical infrastructure, so security is at the heart of what we do
- Triage and troubleshoot operational and customer issues
These are some of the kinds of things you may have done, it’s not an exhaustive shopping list, but if you’ve done some of the things on this list then this role could suit your skills.
- Experience working with PHP, Symfony, PostgreSQL, and the various AWS services for over 5 years
- Design and Develop scalable API driven and services in PHP Experience developing mobile applications using React Native is a plus
- Experience of leading technical development of a product and proactively helping the team with technical challenges
- Experience of product development
- Building on AWS using serverless and containers like Lambda, API Gateways and ECS or Docker
- Datasource experience such as PostgreSQL and Redis
- Experience of EV charger solutions and standards such as OCPP
- Security-driven processes such as DevSecOps
- Working with Agile/Kanban methodologies
- Quality and testing initiatives such as Unit testing, TDD and BDD and associated frameworks Building for observability and monitoring solutions such as CloudWatch and Sentry
- Infrastructure and deployment management using Terraform, CloudFormation etc
- IoT or Connected Device experience
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
We are a 100% remote company, we all work UK time, however, their may be instances where you are expected to travel to the office.
From us, you’ll get
- Competitive start-up salary (with review as the company grows)
- Employee Equity EMI Scheme
- Discounts on buying EVs from partners
- Private medical insurance
- Pension Contribution
- Work Laptop
- Discretionary performance bonus (up to 10%)
- 25 days holiday plus your birthday off
To apply for this role simply e-mail your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org